2017 Summer Volunteer Application
Summer is an exciting place at the Richland Library. For over 27 years, we have had the help of our youngest volunteers during the busy summer months. Each summer we have young people in our libraries learning about the library and the importance of giving back to their community. Please join us!
Duties of a Summer Volunteer might be
- Organizing, sorting and alphabetizing checked-in books
- Making name tags for storytime and preparing materials for library programs
- Straightening and cleaning books and other materials
- Participating in special projects
Locations Hosting 2017 Summer Youth Volunteers
The locations that will be hosting youth volunteers this summer are: Ballentine, Blythewood, Cooper, Eastover, North Main and Sandhills. Those locations that are currently under construction (Ballentine, Blythewood and Cooper) will have a delayed start date for the youth volunteer program. We expect that all of these locations will be open and ready to accept youth volunteers by mid- to late-June 2017.
Requirements for Summer Volunteers
- You must be a rising 5th grader-2017 high school graduate.
- You must attend an orientation session at the location where you have been accepted.
Before you can volunteer, you must attend an orientation session at the location where you are accepted. The orientation session is designed to make you familiar with the staff you will be working with, the volunteer tasks and the layout of the library. You will also confirm the day and time you will volunteer at the orientation session. If you are selected, you will be contacted to confirm your attendance at the orientation.
If you volunteer more than 4 hours during the Summer Volunteer Program you will receive an invitation to the youth volunteer recognition event in September.
Your child is applying to be a Summer Volunteer at Richland Library. While this is a volunteer position, we expect your child to meet his or her obligations to fulfill this commitment. We will arrange a schedule to best suit your child and Richland Library. We realize that this schedule may need to be altered from time to time, and we will work with you on making appropriate changes.
- I agree to meet my child’s work schedule.
- I realize that my child is expected to have transportation to leave at the scheduled ending time, that the library cannot be used as a child care service, and that my child should not remain except to use the library for serious purposes.
- I realize that the library is responsible for my child only during his or her work schedule.
- I verify the accuracy and completeness of the information on my child’s application.
- I authorize the library to take photos of my child while volunteering at the library. I understand that these photos may be used in promotional and print materials produced by and for the library, and that no payment is due for the use of these photos.
- Volunteers can not bring additional people (siblings, cousins, friends, etc.) with them while volunteering. Volunteers agree to focus on the volunteer assignment without distraction.