For the last several months, an unfamiliar sound has been echoing down the streets of Eastover. The pounding of hammers and screaming saws is laced with a cadence of pride as a 5,200 square foot library slowly took shape on Main Street.
Nestled between town hall and several soon-to-be reclaimed historical buildings, Richland Library Eastover is a new feature in this growing community that lies nearly 20 miles southeast of Columbia.
A staple in the Eastover community since 1930, the library has lived in numerous rented storefronts before breaking ground on a permanent home in 1985. Over the last three decades, Eastover’s 5,400 residents have proved their need for more space, more computers and more access to the library’s resources.
Thanks to a USDA Rural Development grant and matching funds from Richland County, those requests will be answered on April 30 with the unveiling of the new $1.6 million renovation and expansion of Richland Library Eastover.
- Double the space—taking the library from 2,400 square feet to 5,200 square feet— see photos
- Expanded hours and enhanced services
- A meeting room, tutor room and additional computers
- Integrated historical elements (more info | view now) that promote Lower Richland’s vibrant past
- A state-of-the art children’s area with exciting new features from Edventure Children’s Museum