Summer Reading Challenge Week 4
Identifying animals and their sounds is a skill children need upon entering Kindergarten. See how many animals your children can identify and how many sounds they know. They may identify an elephant, but do they know what a camel is? Do they know the difference between a tiger and a lion? What sound does a chicken make? Is it different from the sound a goose makes?
Have your children learn 5 new animals by sharing books and songs.
- Share books that highlight types of animals: farm, zoo, wild, aquatic and pets.
- Sing Old McDonald’s Farm or Down on Grandpa’s Farm and let the children fill in the part about what animal is on the farm on their own.
- Take a pet poll! Who in your classroom has animals in their house?
- Look at pictures of real animals and help your children identify their names and sounds.
- Talk about and show pictures of animals that are similar but different like a horse and a donkey or a leopard and a puma.
- Give your children a variety of animal books and allow them time to look at them on their own and ask questions.