Summer with a Stack of Books: finding your next favorite book with Novelist Plus
When I was a student, long ago, my ideal summer vacation was spent reading my way through a stack of books. I loved big thick historical novels and nonfiction books about the intrigues of the Tudor court or the exploration and settlement of the new world. History is still one of my favorite topics for pleasure reading but sometimes finding a good book that I like can be a challenge. That's where Novelist Plus comes in handy.
Novelist Plus is subscription reader's advisory web site that is made available to Richland Library customers by the library. To use Novelist Plus from home, customers will need to sign in with a library card number and PIN before entering the site.
Once in the site, there are several ways to find lists of recommended books based on what you know you already like to read.
- Click on any of the best sellers featured on the home page. A description of the book will come up with a list of similar books found in the box on the right side of the screen. Hover over the book image for more information. Click on "print all" at the top of the box to get a complete list of recommended titles.
- Type the title of a book you like or an author you like into the search box at the top of the page. You can select "Author," "Title," or "Series Title" above the box to search only one element. Novelist Plus will diplay a list of books that matches your search and similar authors, books, or series in the box at the right side of the screen.
- Below the Read-alikes list, there is a box labeled "Search for more." You can check off subject terms from this box and search for other similar books this way.
Before you know it, you will have a long list of potentially great summer reads. Your next step will be to search the Richland Library catalog to see if your books are available to borrow. Remember also that if the book you want is not in the library collection, you may Request a Purchase by filling out the form on the Richland Library web site.
For a step by step demonstration of finding Read-alikes in Novelist Plus, watch the video linked below.
- Tutorial: How Novelist can help me find great title, author and series recommendations
A short video demonstration of how reading recommendations work in Novelist Plus. Novelist Plus makes it easy to find books that are similar to ones you already like.
- Search the Richland Library catalog
Start here to find out if the books you want to read are available at Richland Library.
- Request a Purchase