Gearing up for Spring… Who’s Hiring?
When you hear “seasonal” employment, most people think of Christmas but Spring is a wonderful time to find new job opportunities. Just think about what activities and services increase during Spring and start your search there.
GOOD WEATHER! When the weather gets nice, the nice get gardening! Gardening and Home Improvement business will be "growing" their staff in antcipation of a "blooming" economy this Spring. Where to Look: Home Depot (expected to hire nearly 200 locally), Lowe’s, and other Gardening/Nursery and like businesses will begin expanding in preparation for Spring. Don’t forget the businesses that support gardening and home improvements like contractors, exterminators, pool installers, landscapers, irrigation installers, and others.
FUN AND PLAY! Nice weather means recreation. Where to Look: Check local parks and recreation departments for opportunities such as lifeguards, referees, and program coordinators. Tourism will pick up starting in May so look for businesses that support tourism such as hotels, restaurants, resorts, and amenities. Also, nothing beats a Spring party so look for event and wedding venues and service providers to begin hiring.
NEW STORES! Many stores are increasing their staff in anticipation for Spring and Summer shopping. Where to Look: Check your local paper and news for new store openings.Trader Joe’s is opening up on Forest Drive in March and “Quaker Steak and Lube” is a new Wings Restaurant in NE that is expected to be hiring 100.
JOB FAIRS! Spring is a great time to find local career fairs. Check your local schools and colleges for job fairs for students, parents, and the public.
EXPANDING BUSINESSES! Be proactive and research what is coming down the pike! Where to Look: The SC Commerce Department Newsroom (http://sccommerce.com/news) lists businesses expanding in SC.
“Luck is where preparation meets opportunity!”
- Be sure your resume is targeted for the job you are applying for
- Have a cover letter that is specific to the job you are applying for
- Contact your references and prepare them for possible contact from employers
- Prepare stories to tell that highlight your accomplishments on previous jobs
- Practice your interviewing skills
- Research and learn as much as you can about the company you’re applying with
- Visit the Job Center for help with your resume, cover letter, and job search strategies!