Job Resources at Richland Library
If You Find Yourself Unemployed...
Quick tips from Richland Library Career Specialist, Sylvie Golod.
Allow yourself time to process what has just occurred. This is not the time to run out and apply for any and every job, which will just heighten the anxiety you are feeling.
Exercise, get plenty of rest, and eat nutritionally.
Surround yourself with positive, empowering people. Join a support and networking group for job seekers, such as Career…Encore! There you will find access to plenty of workforce development resources as well as guidance to assist you in the employment process.
This gets you out into the community, establishes a routine, allows you to maintain your skills plus gain new ones; best of all, it can be added to your résumé as “present” work experience above your previous employment!
Four Ways the Library Can Help Job Seekers:
- Meet with Certified Career Development Facilitators at our Main, North Main, and Sandhills libraries for one-on-one assistance with résumés, job applications, career assessments, job search and networking strategies, online presence, and much more. To schedule an appointment at Main, call 231-6339 or 231-6398. Contact North Main at 754-7734 and Sandhills at 699-9230.
- Interview Practice
Trained staff offer customers constructive feedback and guidance during one-on-one practice interviews on the first and third Wednesdays of each month at Main, 10:00 a.m. – noon, first come, first served; no appointment necessary.
- Basic Résumé Help with Career Coaches
Meet with two Career Coaches for an assessment of your résumé on the second and fourth Wednesdays of each month at Main, 2:30 p.m.-4:00 p.m., first come, first served; no appointment necessary.
- Online Resources:
Access these resources at any time, from anywhere, with your library card:
Resources & Job Fairs:
Keep track of community resources and job fairs with the following links.
- Upcoming Samsung Job Fairs, Columbia, Newberry, & Laurens
- Small Business Assessment Program, Chapin, 8/24/17
- Carolinas Associated General Contractors Careers – the most complete listing of construction jobs in the Carolinas
- Job Placement Assistance - a resource for local people who have recently lost their jobs, serving Chapin & surrounding communities
- Fairfield County School Supply Drive
- August 2017 Business, Careers and Research Center Calendar
- SC Department of Employment and Workforce