Russell Maxey Photograph Collection
The Russell Maxey Photograph Collection at Richland Library includes over 7000 negatives, including images taken by Maxey and earlier photographers. Russell Maxey’s photographs allow researchers a glimpse into a southern city undergoing dramatic shifts in its economic, physical and social landscape. The negatives are housed in the Walker Local and Family History Center.
View selected images from the Russell Maxey Photograph Collection online through the South Carolina Digital Library. Click here for an envelope-level inventory of the complete collection.
Russell Maxey (1906 - 1994) was an educator, engineer and photographer, and from 1924 – 1986 he photographed almost every public building in Columbia. He was an assistant chief engineer with Kline Iron and Steel Company and an associate professor of civil engineering at the University of South Carolina. He was a registered professional civil engineer and was associated with American Bridge Company, Tennessee Valley Authority, U.S. Geological Aerial Survey, and the War Department Corps of Engineers. He was also the author of the following books: Airports of Columbia : a history in photographs & headlines; The Columbia High School story; South Carolina's historic Columbia : yesterday and today in photographs; and Columbia's bicentennial, 1786-1986 : the keepsake edition.
- Local History Digital Collections
Click here to view all of the Local History Digital Collections.
- South Carolina Digital Library: Russell Maxey Photograph Collection
Click here to view a selection of over 1880 images from the Russell Maxey Photograph Collection. Available through the South Carolina Digital Library.