June 21 , 2013 10:30 AM
About Richland Library Wheatley
Founded in 1930 and originally housed in the YWCA, Wheatley was named for Phillis A. Wheatley, an African slave and well-known eighteenth century poet. The branch grew and in 1936 it was moved to the old Waverly Methodist Church on Gervais Street, where it became known as the Waverly Branch. The Devine Street Branch replaced Waverly in May 1972. In 1993, the current location opened and the name was changed back to the Wheatley Branch.