Connecting the community through a shared reading experience
One Book, One Columbia encourages residents of Richland County and the Midlands to read the same book at the same time. And, to share their passion for reading with their friends and neighbors.
In February 2013, Columbia will experience the book The Dry Grass of August, by A. J. Mayhew together.
In this beautifully written debut, Anna Jean Mayhew offers a riveting depiction of Southern life in the throes of segregation, what it will mean for a young girl on her way to adulthood--and for the woman who means the world to her.
Infused with the intensity of a changing time, here is a story of hope, heartbreak, and the love and courage that can transform us--from child to adult, from wounded to indomitable.
Book Clubs reading The Dry Grass of August, by Anna Jean Mayhew
- Main - One Book, Book Club, 2 p.m., Tuesday, February 19, Bostick Auditorium
- Ballentine - Bookin’ It at Ballentine, 6:30 p.m., Wednesday, February 27
- Cooper (Forest Acres) - Cooper Branch Book Club, 10 a.m., Monday, February 4
- Northeast - Northeast Regional Book Group, 7 p.m., Thursday, February 14
- Second Wednesday Book Club, 7 p.m., Wednesday, February 13
- Third Thursday Book Club, 1 p.m., Thursday, February 21
Hosting a book club? Download discussion questions
Get the Book, Share the Experience
- Get a copy from Richland Library
- Get a copy from Amazon (When you purchase through our Amazon link you help support Richland Library)
- "Like" One Book, One Columbia on Facebook
- Tag #OneBookOneColumbia on Twitter
- Watch this video on YouTube
- Visit AnnaJeanMayhew.com for more about the author
One Book, One Columbia is an initiative of the City of Columbia, Richland County, the Richland Library and the Columbia Council of Neighborhoods.