From an experienced and highly respected authority in the veterinary world comes a comprehensive must-have guide to everything you need to know to ensure high-quality health care for your beloved animal companions.
Our pets mean the world to us and we go out of our way to pamper them, from gourmet cat treats to doggie daycare. We should, of course, also demand the very best when it comes to their health. But how do we choose the right veterinarian? How do we know if our pets are receiving proper medical treatment or the most effective therapy when they are sick?
Remarkable progress has been made in veterinary medicine, but there is still much disparity in the health care provided for pets. Dr. Louise Murray cuts through the confusion, addresses the common concerns of pet owners, and arms you with knowledge so you can avoid substandard care. Inside you’ll find information on
• how to choose a veterinarian
• what to look for during your pet’s exam
• when it’s time to seek out a specialist
• how to make sure your pet is protected by up-to-date technology, safe anesthesia protocols, and advanced surgical techniques
• proper pain management and adequate nursing care for your pet
• the lowdown on vaccinations
• the growing realm of alternative veterinary medicine
• the latest pet insurance plans
• the use and misuse of steroid medication
She also gives counsel on where to turn if you suspect improper care, and provides comforting advice on saying good-bye.
Vet Confidential is an honest and vital source that will help pet owners make sure that their cherished pets will live a long, happy, and healthy life.