Dig up the amazing stories of the plants that have transformed our lives.
Plants might start out as leafy things growing in the earth, but they can come into our lives in unexpected ways. And believe it or not, some have even played an exciting role in our world's history. Discover how:
- Countries went to war to control trade centers for pepper
- A grass called papyrus became the first effective tool for sharing knowledge through writing
- Europeans in the 1600s cut down rainforests to grow sugar, contributing to soil erosion
- Cotton improved the livelihoods of a few, but caused unthinkable suffering for many more
- Corn fueled new technologies and turns up in thousands of everyday products
- The discovery of rubber revolutionized transportation, making bike and car tires possible
- Tea and chocolate became big business, and the race for profits was on
- Dependence on the potato caused one of the greatest tragedies in history, while the bark of the cinchona tree saved countless lives from malaria.
The ten plants in this book are the source of profound changes in the world, both good and bad. Through vibrant illustrations and astonishing facts, you'll discover that without them, our lives today would be vastly different.