- Laura Bliss Morris
- Monday, November 26, 2018
Create the perfect Thanksgiving centerpiece with these easy, DIY Wine Cork Pumpkins!
Temps are finally cooling down and the autumnal season is upon us. We stole a few minutes with Lucy in the Makerspace at Richland Library Main for a quick tutorial on creating these super-cute, super-simple wine cork pumpkins. Here's what you'll need to get started.
- 25 recycled wine corks
- Orange acrylic paint
- Paint brush
- Hot glue gun
- Craft knife
- Green felt
- Jute twine
- Arrange the corks in rows (4 on the bottom then 5, then 6, then 5 and 4 on the top) and hot glue together. For best results, try to match up the corks so they’re the same length in each row.
- Dilute the paint with a bit of water and paint both ends of all but one cork. Allow to dry.
- Take the one remaining cork and cut off part of it with the craft knife. Hot glue it on top as the stem.
- Cut leaf shapes from the green felt and hot glue them on around the “stem.”
- Tie a short length of twine around the stem to resemble the vine.
Voilà! It's that simple. Want to spice it up a bit? Create multiple pumpkins of varying sizes to really give your centerpiece some dimension or cut a small slit in the top of your stem cork to create a place card holder for each guest at your festive gatherings.