With over 7,000 images in the Local History Digital Collections it can be hard to find those hidden gems. Take a look at what your neighbors found interesting in September, 2020.
The Walker Local and Family History Center maintains a healthy collection of historic photographs, postcards and other local memorabilia. A selection of these are online in the Local History Digital Collections, with new additions each week. Each month I’ll share the most popular images from the previous month. Below are the top 5 images from September, 2020.
Located on Decker Boulevard, Applegate’s Landing was a popular family restaurant serving pizza and other American fare. View the menu here. The whimsical décor included an antique car, a working indoor waterwheel, and private seating in the turret.
The south side of the 1100 block of Washington Street is visible behind a line of cars waiting at the traffic light. A block west of Main, Washington Street served as the Black commercial district of the city during segregation. Click here to view the north side of the block.
Located on the corner of Blossom and Assembly Streets, the Celia Dial Saxon School served African-American elementary students from 1930 until 1968. The school was named for Columbia educator Celia Dial Saxon (1857-1935), who attended the University of South Carolina during the Reconstruction era and taught for 57 years in Columbia city schools. The first principal of the Celia Dial Saxon School was C. W. Madden.
The newsroom staff of the Columbia Record, the city’s afternoon newspaper, posed together at their office on George Rogers Boulevard. The Columbia Record was the gossipy, sporty counterpoint to the more serious and political morning paper The State. The Columbia Record and The State were owned by the same parent company but operated as rivals, often trying to scoop the other. Founded in 1897 as the Daily Record, the Columbia Record printed its final edition on April 1, 1988.
Want to see more? Click to see the top 5 from August 2020.