This week's #brainbreak is all about solar energy. I know...we are supposed to be taking a break from learning, but I promise it will be fun!
Solar energy is produced by the light and heat from the sun. With the help of various solar inventions, we can transform that into thermal or electrical energy. In celebration of Women’s History Month let us take a moment to put a spotlight on the “Sun Queen”. Mária Telkes, born in Budapest, Hungary is best known for her inventions of the first solar-powered heating system designed for a house and the solar distiller. Telkes also contributed research to several other solar inventions including the solar over. Which is what we will be creating today.
Solar S'mores Oven
1. Draw a rectangle on the top of your pizza box. Cut the left, right, and front of the rectangle leaving the back attached.
2. Bend the attached side of the rectangle so that if flaps open then wrap with foil. Open the pizza box completely and cover the bottom and sides with foil as well. Use tape to secure foil where needed.
3. Take the plastic wrap and tape it to the open portion of your box top.
4. Next, close the box back up and prop the flap open with the straw at about a 90-degree angle. Tape to secure once you've got it in the right position.
5. Now it is time to get to cooking! Stack your graham crackers, marshmallow, and chocolate inside your oven. Close the box. Find a good spot outside and place your oven in direct sunlight. (Make sure you put the box someone safe from pest.)
6. Now, wait for about 45 minutes -1 hour. Your treat will be ready just in time for your next class break.
I can't wait to see your finished project. Show off your solar cooking skills by using #accessfreely on social media to share your solar-powered ovens with us!