About the Job
Richland Library is seeking to hire a Safety and Security Worker for the Edgewood location.
The Safety and Security Worker is responsible for patrolling all the interior and exterior grounds, while providing exemplary customer service, ensuring everyone's safety.
The right candidate has two years of recent security or law enforcement experience, is organized and able to communicate clearly and concisely. He/She has a sharp mind and an eye for detail.
- Patrolling all interior and exterior grounds to protect premises, property, and equipment; moving constantly and quickly between areas as appropriate. Carefully observing all unusual activities and behavior on library property, and responding appropriately, which involves decision-making, judgment, and knowledge of policies and procedures.
- Responding to fire and burglar alarms after hours, when informed by alarm company, police, or supervisor; which requires immediately available, reliable transportation to the necessary locations.
- Assisting customers and staff in emergency situations relating to safety and security.
- Interpreting, communicating, and enforcing library policies, procedures, and rules to customers, security workers, and other staff.
- Communicating information related to safety, security, and library-general information; presenting a positive image of library to general public.
- Dealing effectively and appropriately with disorderly customers whenever necessary.
- Maintaining appropriate security reports and records.
- Maintaining physical cleanliness, neatness, orderliness, and safety of exterior grounds and exterior areas as listed above, in addition to the safety/security patrolling of such areas.
- Assisting with administering emergency First Aid to staff and customers.
- Assisting library staff in limited aspects of their job duties, as needed.
- Locating certain customers and relaying messages from outside callers, within appropriate guidelines.
- Providing security to other Library locations and special events, as needed.
- Performing other duties as required or assigned.
- Graduation from high school.
- At least two years previous experience in security and/or law enforcement.
- Drug free.
- Ability to perform all job duties.
- Valid Driver’s License, safe driving record and dependable transportation to any location as assigned.
- Preference may be given for supervisory experience.
Your job will involve your being on the move in our libraries. It will include standing, walking, crouching, stooping, squatting, twisting, climbing, pushing/pulling up to 50 pounds, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Richland Library Edgewood** 2101 Oak St., Columbia, SC 29204
Salary range: $975.00-$1,004.00 biweekly, plus benefits
Hours:37.5 hours per week, including evening and weekend hours.
(Job Classification Level 103) (FLSA Status: Non-Exempt)
APPLY IMMEDIATELY. No deadline is presently established for this Vacancy. Applications being accepted now. When a deadline is determined, the deadline will be announced 24 hours in advance on the Library’s website.
Please do not send your resume/cover letter separately; only materials submitted through our online system are reviewed. You may attach your resume and/or cover letter to your online application. Keep in mind that if you are applying for multiple positions, you will need to submit an application for each position.
Why the Richland Library?
Richland Library is a vibrant, contemporary organization that provides resources and information that advance the Midlands. Offering state-of-the-art technology, a great variety of literary and cultural programs and 12 bustling facilities located throughout the county, Richland Library offers a truly customized, modern library experience for residents and visitors alike.
The Richland Library is an award-winning, forward-thinking public library system because of our exceptional, diverse staff, who are passionate about serving our community. Be a part of our team and help us to continue to fulfill our mission to help our customers learn, create and share.
We are guided by our shared Vision: “to enhance the quality of life for our entire community”; and by strategic objectives including advancing our community, having an engaged staff who make a significant positive difference, and enhancing the experience and outcomes of customers who interact with Richland Library.