About the Job
Richland Library is seeking a talented Front-end Developer to architect intuitive, efficient and remarkable web experiences for our customers.
The ideal candidate will work collaboratively with designers, marketing staff, other engineers and a variety of stakeholders all focused on continuously improving the user experience. Teamwork, both within and outside of the library, is an essential component of this position.
SHOW US WHAT YOU’VE DONE:
A portfolio of work showcasing examples of your development skills is required.
SHOW US WHAT YOU CAN DO:
Qualified candidates may be asked to complete and submit a coding challenge that can be reviewed prior to the in-person interview.
- Develop spectacular web experiences, which drive activity and increase usability.
- Partner with stakeholders to determine the best way to deliver our services to our online customers.
- Design, comp, develop, test and deploy responsive, mobile-first websites in both decoupled and coupled architectures. Drupal 8 is the libraries primary framework.
- Serve as the primary front-end support for our existing online assets, websites and themes.
- Assist in project scoping and planning activities.
- Provide input during digital strategy and planning phases and aid others in adopting new technologies and methodologies.
- Stay up-to-date on digital technologies and related marketing trends.
- Participate in the development and implementation of interactive applications using the Drupal content management system, MySQL, JQuery, along with tools like Adobe CS4, or other tools as needed.
- Provide analysis of usage data using Google Analytics and other systems.
- Review and recommend modules, hardware, and software.
- Maintain current knowledge of SEO/SEM best practices and usability standards.
- Working with the library’s Content Strategist and Back-End Developer, update and manage the content of RichlandLibrary.com.
- Providing expertise to the Internal Communications Coordinator and IT Department as they look to re-architect the user experience of internal applications such as our intranet.
- Supporting the customization and/or development of social networking applications.
- Performing other associated duties as required or assigned (in support of our digital properties).
- Five years’ professional experience with front-end development; building customer-facing responsive interfaces.
- Working knowledge of and experience with REST or Restful APIs.
- Experience with the administration and customization of a Drupal 8 web site; ability to work with custom built Drupal themes preferred.
- Passion for building a rich and innovative user experience.
- Ability to move a project from concept, to wireframe, to comp, to coded masterpiece.
- Strong customer focus, ownership, urgency and a self-directed drive are a must.
- Past contributions and experience with open source software projects is preferred.
- Familiarity with the AGILE development experience is preferred.
Your job will involve your being on the move in our libraries. It will include standing, walking, crouching, stooping, squatting, twisting, climbing, pushing/pulling up to 50 pounds, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Marketing and Digital Strategy Department* 1431 Assembly St., Columbia, SC 29201
Salary: $1,917.75 biweekly, plus benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week (Occasional evening, weekend, or emergency hours as needed). Details to be discussed during interview.
(Job Classification Level 114) (FLSA Status: Exempt)
APPLY IMMEDIATELY. No deadline is presently established for this Vacancy. Applications being accepted now. When a deadline is determined, the deadline will be announced 24 hours in advance on the Library’s website.
Please do not send your resume/cover letter separately; only materials submitted through our online system are reviewed. You may attach your resume and/or cover letter to your online application. Keep in mind that if you are applying for multiple positions, you will need to submit an application for each position.
Why Richland Library?
Richland Library is a vibrant, contemporary organization that provides resources and information that advance the Midlands. Offering state-of-the-art technology, a great variety of literary and cultural programs and 11 bustling facilities located throughout the county, Richland Library offers a truly customized, modern library experience for residents and visitors alike.
Richland Library is an award-winning, forward-thinking public library system because of our exceptional, diverse staff, who are passionate about serving our community. Be a part of our team and help us to continue to fulfill our mission to help our customers learn, create and share.
We are guided by our shared Vision: “to enhance the quality of life for our entire community”; and by strategic objectives including advancing our community, having an engaged staff who make a significant positive difference, and enhancing the experience and outcomes of customers who interact with Richland Library.