About the Job
Richland Library is seeking a knowledgeable, service oriented, and engaging candidate to join our vibrant staff at Richland Library Sandhills as the Readers’ Advisory Professional.
In this position, he/she is responsible for cultivating relationships with readers, providing readers’ advisory services, and promoting and merchandizing the adult collection. This position works closely with the Collection Development Director and the Research and Readers’ Advisory Manager to ensure alignment with system-wide goals and priorities.
- Promoting library’s circulating collection by merchandising, designing, maintaining, and rotating displays in and around the library.
- Cultivating relationships with readers, anticipating their needs, offering readers’ advisory service to our customers in person, via telephone, or online.
- Assisting with coordination of reader-focused programs.
- Maintaining an awareness of trends in readers’ advisory services and in the publishing industry.
- Using collection maintenance tools such as CollectionHQ and Polaris reports.
- Facilitating and developing book groups, booktalks and other readers’ advisory events for adults both in-house and in the community.
- Creating readers’ advisory content for the Library’s website.
- Assisting with providing system wide readers’ advisory training for library staff, written book reviews and creation of customer-oriented advisory materials.
- Participating in and contributes to Library outreach events and initiatives with a special focus on readers’ advisory.
- Assisting with training of professional and non-professional staff.
- Compiling subject listings and usage guidelines for print and non-print sources.
- Communicating and interpreting general library policies and procedures to customers.
- ALA accredited MLS degree preferred but not required.
- Specialized subject knowledge or skills developed through education and/or work experience, where appropriate. In this position, such skills may include readers’ advisory or bookselling.
- Valid driver’s license and safe driving record.
- Ability to perform job functions.
Your job will involve your being on the move in our libraries. It will include standing, walking, crouching, stooping, squatting, twisting, climbing, pushing/pulling up to 50 pounds, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Richland Library Sandhills** 763 Fashion Drive, Columbia, SC 29229
Salary: $1,552.50 biweekly, plus benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, including evening and weekend hours.
(Job Classification Level 111) (FLSA Status: Exempt)
APPLY IMMEDIATELY. No deadline is presently established for this Vacancy. Applications being accepted now. When a deadline is determined, the deadline will be announced 24 hours in advance on the Library’s website.
Please do not send your resume/cover letter separately; only materials submitted through our online system are reviewed. You may attach your resume and/or cover letter to your online application. Keep in mind that if you are applying for multiple positions, you will need to submit an application for each position.
Why Richland Library?
Richland Library is a vibrant, contemporary organization that provides resources and information that advance the Midlands. Offering state-of-the-art technology, a great variety of literary and cultural programs and 11 bustling facilities located throughout the county, Richland Library offers a truly customized, modern library experience for residents and visitors alike.
Richland Library is an award-winning, forward-thinking public library system because of our exceptional, diverse staff, who are passionate about serving our community. Be a part of our team and help us to continue to fulfill our mission to help our customers learn, create and share.
We are guided by our shared Vision: “to enhance the quality of life for our entire community”; and by strategic objectives including advancing our community, having an engaged staff who make a significant positive difference, and enhancing the experience and outcomes of customers who interact with Richland Library.