Richland Library is seeking to hire an Acquisitions Coordinator at our Main location.
- Effectively demonstrates characteristics of being enthusiastic, outgoing, and strongly customer-service oriented, including the application of the Richland Library’s customer engagement standards.
- Greets customers & successfully ascertains individualized needs and/or requirements for each customer.
- Engages, encourages, and assists diverse customers in all areas of the Library in a welcoming, professional, and respectful manner
- Assists Acquisitions Manager and performs acquisitions duties in absence of Acquisitions Manager.
- Prepares and places orders for specific collections based on selector guidance and knowledge of system-wide use/need.
- Supports/guides periodicals collection management and processes, including selection and ordering of periodicals for Main library and branches as well as organizing and supervising the maintenance of periodical files, both physical and electronic.
- Reviews all orders; determines the next appropriate acquisitions process (such as choosing vendor, prepay options, etc.).
- Analyzes and solves acquisition problems especially those involving invoice, statement, and shipment discrepancies.
- Processes orders and receives books, audio-visual and other materials for the collection using the Library’s computerized acquisitions system and multiple vendor databases.
- Works with Finance Office in payment of invoices to ensure charges are correct and posted against appropriate funds in the computerized acquisitions system and in MUNIS; reviews completely processed invoices that are ready for the Finance Office; balances with the Finance Office.
- Assists with weeding at all locations.
- Performs other Collection Development responsibilities as required or assigned.
- Prepares invoices for the Finance Office.
- Applies invoices in the ILS.
- Monitors materials budget encumbrances and expenditures.
- Uses automated library system.
- Assists in all Collection Development projects.
- Lifts and opens boxes and receives, processes, and routes materials.
- Maintains consistent and routine communication with staff at the Main Library.
- May set up grant fund accounts and administers grant expenditures and other special projects.
- May work with vendors to resolve outsourcing problems.
- May index serials collections and coordinate the process of binding material.
- May visit with the branches on a routine basis.
- MLS degree from an ALA-accredited school, plus one year of professional experience following the degree. Highly desirable: work experience in acquisition of library materials using integrated, automated acquisitions system; and experience in ordering and maintaining standing orders, continuations and or periodicals. Transcripts must be provided upon hire.
- In lieu of (1) consideration may be given for the following combinations of education and experience: bachelor’s degree with a major closely related to the work (possibilities may include public or business administration, purchasing, procurement, accounting, marketing, management, etc.) plus at least three years post-degree work experience in acquisition of library materials in a library system or comparable setting; or master’s degree in an area closely related plus at least one year relevant experience.
- Driver’s license and safe driving record.
- Ability to perform job functions. Highly desirable: experience and background demonstrating both the knowledge and technical skills required in the job.
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Richland Library Main, 1431 Assembly Street, Columbia, SC 29201
Salary: $1,877.23 bi-weekly plus excellent benefits.
Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 5:30 pm
Job Classification Level 111 (FLSA Status: Exempt)
** Richland Library may change location and schedule of any library job.
How to apply:
Deadline: Open Until Filled. However, we reserve the right to close this posting without notice. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
No phone calls and/or in person inquiries regarding status of applications. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone.
Why the Richland Library?
Richland Library is a vibrant, contemporary organization that provides resources and information that advance the Midlands. Offering state-of-the-art technology, a great variety of literary and cultural programs and 12 bustling facilities located throughout the county, Richland Library offers a truly customized, modern library experience for residents and visitors alike.
The Richland Library is an award-winning, forward-thinking public library system because of our exceptional, diverse staff, who are passionate about serving our community. Be a part of our team and help us to continue to fulfill our mission to help our customers learn, create and share.
We are guided by our shared Vision: “to enhance the quality of life for our entire community”; and by strategic objectives including advancing our community, having an engaged staff who make a significant positive difference, and enhancing the experience and outcomes of customers who interact with Richland Library.