Richland Library is seeking to hire a Full-Time Manager at our Edgewood location.
- Manages, provides guidance to, and reviews the work of individual contributors and supervisory employees in order to accomplish operational plans and results
- Plans and oversees business area workflow and time utilization of staff; assigns and communicates daily activities and priorities to staff
- Provides direct oversight for the overall operation of the department / location including customer service/relations, collection maintenance, programs / services, operational needs, and security functions
- Serves as the leader of the department / location; provides the best possible example and model of excellence for customers and staff
- Assesses, plans, and implements best practice standards and assures compliance with all guidelines, policies, and procedures
- Provides general support throughout the department / location; assists customers in person and electronically; explains library resources, interprets department policies to a variety of library users
- Responds to and resolves complex problems related to customer service and daily operations; enforces the Richland Library Code of Conduct and follows established guidelines to ensure the application of an equitable approach to all resolutions
- Leads and manages public programs and services, the coordination of spaces, and staff scheduling and training; ensures a robust, engaging, and current portfolio of programming is consistently occurring and/or in development
- Oversees day to day maintenance and operation of automated functions and equipment; monitors and resolves problems quickly and/or escalates to the appropriate department
- Troubleshoots hardware and software problems; relays information internally and publicly, as needed
- Oversees the operation and maintenance of department / location, including dealing effectively with emergency situations
- Cultivates partnerships and collaborations with local businesses, community groups, and cultural and nonprofit organizations
- Assists with the preparation of the annual budget proposal and supporting documents and materials; administers the approved budget, ensuring adherence to all funding and fiscal guidelines
- Attends and participates in staff, and professional group meetings; stays abreast of new trends and best practices
- Follows organizational, County, and public health and safety guidelines and protocols; performs job functions in a safe manner and reports all safety hazards per established policies and procedures
- Learns and consistently exhibits Richland Library’s brand promises in all interactions with customers and colleagues; provides outstanding customer service to all internal and external customers; successfully ascertains and meets the individualized needs of each customer
- May be required to work nights and weekends based on organizational responsibilities and job requirements
- Reviews and evaluates work methods and procedures and meets with management staff to identify and resolve problems
- Assesses and monitors workload; identifies opportunities for improvement and implements changes
- Selects, trains, motivates, and evaluates personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; makes recommendations regarding discipline and termination per established policies and procedures.
Bachelor’s degree in related discipline; supplemented by four (4) years of directly related experience including at least one (1) year of supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of education, certification, training, and/or experience.
American Library Association (ALA) accredited Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) and one (1) years of experience leading a department, major business function, or location of a public library
Certifications and Licenses:
Possess and maintain a valid State of South Carolina Driver’s License and the ability to drive a Library owned vehicle per established policies, procedures, and safety guidelines
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Richland Library Edgewood, 2101 Oak Street, Columbia, SC 29204
Salary: $2,137.50 bi-weekly plus excellent benefits.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week on rotating weekend schedule:
Monday - Wednesday 9:00 am - 5:30 pm; Thursday 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm; Alternate Friday and Saturday 9:00 am- 6:00 pm.
Job Role & Level: L2; Pay Grade & Salary Band: 7; FLSA Status: Exempt
** Richland Library may change location and schedule of any library job.
How to apply:
Deadline: Open Until Filled. However, we reserve the right to close this posting without notice. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
No phone calls and/or in person inquiries regarding status of applications. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone.
Why the Richland Library?
Richland Library is a vibrant, contemporary organization that provides resources and information that advance the Midlands. Offering state-of-the-art technology, a great variety of literary and cultural programs and 12 bustling facilities located throughout the county, Richland Library offers a truly customized, modern library experience for residents and visitors alike.
The Richland Library is an award-winning, forward-thinking public library system because of our exceptional, diverse staff, who are passionate about serving our community. Be a part of our team and help us to continue to fulfill our mission to help our customers learn, create and share.
We are guided by our shared Vision: “to enhance the quality of life for our entire community”; and by strategic objectives including advancing our community, having an engaged staff who make a significant positive difference, and enhancing the experience and outcomes of customers who interact with Richland Library.