Richland Library is seeking to hire a Floater Associate at our Main and surrounding locations.
- Effectively demonstrates characteristics of being enthusiastic, outgoing, and strongly customer-service oriented, including the application of the Richland Library’s customer engagement standards.
- Greets customers & successfully ascertains individualized needs and/or requirements for each customer.
- Engages, encourages, and assists diverse customers in all areas of the Library in a welcoming, professional, and respectful manner.
- Answers directional and informational questions about the Library, including its services, materials, programs, and initiatives.
- Assists customers in taking reserves, locating materials, etc., using automated library system; assists customers (in-library and on telephone) with basic informational and directional requests; assists customers in use of PAC terminals, listening/viewing stations, and other equipment.
- Interprets and communicates basic library policies and procedures to customers.
- Acts to find and promote efficiencies, including working to help ensure correct location and condition of items and materials so that customers receive materials and services they desire.
- Handles fines, fees, payments.
- Enters customer information into automated systems and issues library cards.
- Collects and records required data and statistics regarding questions, use, etc.
- Discharge returned materials.
- Assists with programming for children and adults.
- Performs assigned work related to projects pertaining to studio concept of library service.
- Performs at least 10 hours per week (average) and 130 hours per quarter. Performs work in various locations and departments as needed
Other Important Responsibilities:
- Runs reports on automated system searches for holds and other needed materials listed on reports and sends to proper locations.
- Actively supports the needs of the library, including completion of opening and closing procedures; maintaining supplies, statistics and cash reconciliations; cleaning, checking, and trouble-shooting equipment; shelving materials and sustaining the library’s collection.
- Reads shelves; may be assigned responsibility over particular section.
- Empties book drops and transports materials safely and efficiently to appropriate locations.
- Understands and maintains the material handling automated process for organizing and moving materials throughout the system.
- May be required to acquire and/or maintain, and apply, specialized knowledge of children’s materials, programming, and services.
- May act as person in charge of service point during absence of higher-level staff.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- High school graduation. Preference may be given for post-high school educational attainment.
- At least one year of relevant work experience involving customer service. Preference may be given to relevant experience within a service industry. Preference may be given for knowledge of materials, programming, and services pertinent to specified groups of customers, such as children.
- Physical abilities (lift, bend, squat, pull loaded book bin, print legibly, stand continuously, and walk around) as needed to perform the duties of the job.
- Valid driver’s license and safe driving record. Availability of reliable transportation for work hours/locations.
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Richland Library Main and/or Branches as needed.
Salary: $15.00 per hour.
Hours: At least 10.00 hours/wk. average and at least 13 hrs. per 3 months, with variable, flexible schedule related to all hrs. library system is open; and at least 130.00 hours in every 3 months.
Job Classification Level 102 (FLSA Status: Non-Exempt)
** Richland Library may change location and schedule of any library job.
How to apply:
Deadline: Open Until Filled. However, we reserve the right to close this posting without notice. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
No phone calls and/or in person inquiries regarding status of applications. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone.
Why the Richland Library?
Richland Library is a vibrant, contemporary organization that provides resources and information that advance the Midlands. Offering state-of-the-art technology, a great variety of literary and cultural programs and 12 bustling facilities located throughout the county, Richland Library offers a truly customized, modern library experience for residents and visitors alike.
The Richland Library is an award-winning, forward-thinking public library system because of our exceptional, diverse staff, who are passionate about serving our community. Be a part of our team and help us to continue to fulfill our mission to help our customers learn, create and share.
We are guided by our shared Vision: “to enhance the quality of life for our entire community”; and by strategic objectives including advancing our community, having an engaged staff who make a significant positive difference, and enhancing the experience and outcomes of customers who interact with Richland Library.