Richland Library is seeking to hire a Full-Time Customer and Security Associate at our Lower Richland location.
- Effectively demonstrates the characteristics of being energetic, outgoing, and strongly customer-service oriented, including the application of Richland Library’s customer service standards.
- Greets customers & successfully ascertains individualized needs and/or requirements for each customer.
- Engages, encourages, and assists diverse customers in all areas of the Library in a welcoming, professional, and respectful manner.
- Oversees the library operations during absence of higher level staff.
- Actively supports the needs of the library, including completion of opening and closing procedures; maintaining supplies, statistics and cash reconciliations; cleaning, checking, and trouble-shooting equipment; shelving materials and sustaining the library’s collection.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Patrols all interior and exterior grounds to protect premises, property, and equipment; move constantly and quickly between areas as appropriate, up to 7.5 hours per day; grounds include all areas of the location library, and all exterior areas controlled by library, including parking areas, walks, landscape, and vehicles; exterior work involves a wide range of climate, including extremes of climate; “move constantly” entails primarily walking but also frequent stooping, bending, reaching, and stairs.
- Carefully observes all unusual activities and behavior on library property, and responds appropriately; “observing” requires mobility, and adequate sight and hearing; “responding” involves decision-making, judgment, and knowledge of policies and procedures.
- Responds to fire and burglar alarms after hours, when informed by alarm company, police, or supervisor; requires immediately available, reliable transportation to the necessary locations.
- Assists customers and staff in emergency situations relating to security and safety; physical exertion, lifting, carrying, grasping, stooping, kneeling, bending, reaching, pulling, pushing, seeing, hearing.
- Interprets, communicates, and enforces library policies, procedures, and rules to customers, security workers, and other staff.
- Communicates information related to safety, security, and library-general information; knowledge, job ability, and appropriate professional appearance.
- Deals effectively and appropriately with disorderly customers whenever necessary, including, as needed: effectively correcting them, removing them, preventing harm to property or persons, and notifying law enforcement as appropriate; knowledge of policy and procedure; physical exertion, lifting, carrying, grasping, reaching, pulling, pushing, balancing, good judgment, and tact.
- Maintains appropriate security reports and records.
Library Associate Duties:
- Answers directional and informational questions about the Library, including its services, materials, programs, and initiatives.
- Assists customers with equipment, materials, procedures, and information.
- Acts to find and promote efficiencies, including working to help ensure correct location and condition of items and materials so that customers receive materials and services they desire.
- Contributes effectively to understanding and maintaining the system for organizing and moving materials through the system.
- Assists with adult and children’s programming
- At least two years of post high school education from an accredited college or university. Transcripts must be provided upon hire.
- At least two years of recent experience in security.
- At least one year clerical, customer service, or other relevant work experience; equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered. Preference may be given to relevant experience within a service industry.
- Excellent communication and technical skills, including a good understanding of technology.
- No record of conviction for criminal offense.
- Drug free.
- Valid Driver’s License, safe driving record and dependable transportation to any location as assigned.
- Additional skills as required by job.
- Ability to perform all job duties.
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Richland Library Lower Richland, 9019 Garners Ferry Road, Hopkins, SC 29061
Salary range: $15.00 per hour plus benefits.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week on rotating weekend schedule:
Monday (9:15 am - 6:00 pm), Tuesday (12:00 pm - 8:00 pm), Wednesday (9:15 am -6:00 pm), Thursday (12:00 pm - 8:00 pm). Alternate Friday and Saturday (9:00 am- 6:00 pm).
Job Classification Level 104 (FLSA Status: Non-Exempt)
** Richland Library may change location and schedule of any library job.
How to apply:
Deadline: Open Until Filled. However, we reserve the right to close this posting without notice. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
No phone calls and/or in person inquiries regarding status of applications. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone.
Why the Richland Library?
Richland Library is a vibrant, contemporary organization that provides resources and information that advance the Midlands. Offering state-of-the-art technology, a great variety of literary and cultural programs and 12 bustling facilities located throughout the county, Richland Library offers a truly customized, modern library experience for residents and visitors alike.
The Richland Library is an award-winning, forward-thinking public library system because of our exceptional, diverse staff, who are passionate about serving our community. Be a part of our team and help us to continue to fulfill our mission to help our customers learn, create and share.
We are guided by our shared Vision: “to enhance the quality of life for our entire community”; and by strategic objectives including advancing our community, having an engaged staff who make a significant positive difference, and enhancing the experience and outcomes of customers who interact with Richland Library.