Richland Library is seeking a skilled candidate to promote safety and security of library premises, property, customers and staff at Main location.
The ideal candidate has two years of recent security or law enforcement experience, has excellent communications skills, a sharp mind and an eye for detail. This individual enjoys assisting others and ensures everyone’s safety on his/her watch.
If you are ready to enjoy serving the community and is excited about the prospect of learning about the unique Security needs of the Library, we encourage you to apply!
- Patrolling all exterior and interior facilities and grounds to protect premises, property, and equipment; moving constantly and quickly up to 8.5 hours per day.
- Carefully observing all unusual activities and behavior on library property, responding appropriately.
- Responding to fire & burglar alarms after hours, when informed by alarm company, police, or supervisor; which requires being immediately available and having reliable transportation to the necessary locations.
- Assisting customers and staff in emergency situations relating to security and safety.
- Interpreting, communicating, and enforcing library policies, procedures, and rules to customers, security workers, and other staff.
- Dealing effectively and appropriately with disorderly customers whenever necessary, including: effectively correcting or removing them, preventing harm to property or persons, and notifying law enforcement as appropriate.
- Providing appropriate security reports and records.
- Assisting library staff in limited aspects of their job duties, as needed.
- Providing security to other Library locations and special events, as needed and assigned.
As a Richland Library employee, you can:
- Make a difference in other people’s lives every day!
- Be part of a dynamic and diverse team.
- Be recognized for your contributions.
- Grow and develop personally and professionally.
Richland Library offers a full range of benefits to salaried employees that support employees, spouses and their children. Some of our benefits include:
- Medical, prescription drug, dental and vision coverage
- Retirement savings plan\paid time off and holiday pay
- Resources to help improve your overall well-being
- Free and discounted access to books, music, and films
- Giving Back:
We value giving back to our community and encourage all employees to volunteer their time to support their charities.
- Celebration, Appreciation and Play
We know that you need a chance to unwind and recharge. Science tells us that play makes us smarter and reduces stress. Play helps us to get to know our colleagues better and can be fun. We offer break rooms and employee lounge areas to play games, workout, read or just relax.
- High school or equivalent
- Supervisory experience desirable
- 2 years experience in security and/or law enforcement
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Richland Library Main **1431 Assembly Street, Columbia, SC 29201
Salary range: $1,089.00 - $1,121.67 plus benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week: Monday 10:00 AM 6:30 PM; Wednesday 11:30 AM – 7:00 PM; Thursday 10:00 AM – 7:30 PM; Friday 9:15 AM – 6:15 PM; Saturday 10:45 AM – 6:15 PM
Job Classification Level 105 (FLSA Status: Non-Exempt)
** Richland Library may change location and schedule of any library job.
How to apply: Submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Reference job title on the subject line.
Deadline: Open Until Filled. However, we reserve the right to close this posting without notice. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
No phone calls and/or in person inquiries regarding status of applications. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone. Only candidates selected for interview will be notified when the position is filled.
Why the Richland Library?
- Richland Library is a vibrant, contemporary organization that provides resources and information that advance the Midlands. Offering state-of-the-art technology, a great variety of literary and cultural programs and 13 bustling facilities located throughout the county, Richland Library offers a truly customized, modern library experience for residents and visitors alike.
- Richland Library is an award-winning, forward-thinking public library system because of our exceptional, diverse staff, who are passionate about serving our community. Be a part of our team and help us continue to fulfill our mission of helping our customers learn, create, and share.
- We are guided by our shared Vision: “enhance the quality of life for our entire community”; and by strategic objectives including advancing our community, having an engaged staff who make a significant positive difference, and enhancing the experience and outcomes of customers who interact with Richland Library.