Richland Library is seeking a skilled candidate to promote safety and security of library premises, property, customers and staff at our Main location.
- Patrolling all exterior and interior facilities and grounds to protect premises, property, and equipment; moving constantly and quickly up to 8.5 hours per day.
- Carefully observing all unusual activities and behavior on library property, responding appropriately.
- Responding to fire & burglar alarms after hours, when informed by alarm company, police, or supervisor; which requires being immediately available and having reliable transportation to the necessary locations.
- Assisting customers and staff in emergency situations relating to security and safety.
- Interpreting, communicating, and enforcing library policies, procedures, and rules to customers, security workers, and other staff.
- Dealing effectively and appropriately with disorderly customers whenever necessary, including: effectively correcting or removing them, preventing harm to property or persons, and notifying law enforcement as appropriate.
- Providing appropriate security reports and records.
- Assists Manager and librarians with the overall management and leadership of the Library, including helping to keep the workflow properly moving and meeting customer experience expectations.
- May lead, coach, train, and supervise part-time employees and volunteers, guiding priorities within activities and tasks.
- Oversees the library operations during absence of higher level staff.
- Actively supports the needs of the library, including completion of opening and closing procedures; maintaining supplies, statistics and cash reconciliations; cleaning, checking, and trouble-shooting equipment; shelving materials and sustaining the library’s collection.
- Providing security to other Library locations and special events, as needed and assigned.
As a Richland Library employee, you can:
- Make a difference in other people’s lives every day!
- Be part of a dynamic and diverse team.
- Be recognized for your contributions.
- Grow and develop personally and professionally.
Richland Library offers a full range of benefits to salaried employees that support employees, spouses and their children. Some of our benefits include:
- Medical, prescription drug, dental and vision coverage
- Retirement savings plan\paid time off and holiday pay
- Resources to help improve your overall well-being
- Free and discounted access to books, music, and films
- Giving Back: We value giving back to our community and encourage all employees to volunteer their time to support their charities.
- Celebration, Appreciation and Play: We know that you need a chance to unwind and recharge. Science tells us that play makes us smarter and reduces stress. Play helps us to get to know our colleagues better and can be fun. We offer break rooms and employee lounge areas to play games, workout, read or just relax.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent required. At least two years of post high school education from an accredited college or university preferred.
- At least four years of previous experience in security and/or law enforcement preferred.
- Supervisory experience desirable.
- Excellent communication and technical skills, including a good understanding of technology.
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Richland Library Main **1431 Assembly Street, Columbia, SC 29201
Starting Salary range: $ 1,153.84 biweekly, plus benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week: Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday 8:15 – 5:15 PM; Saturday 8:45 AM- 6:15 PM; Sunday 1:15 – 6:15 PM. Please note that we are working an adjusted scheduled currently until further notice.
Job Classification Level 106 (FLSA Status: Non-Exempt)
** Richland Library may change location and schedule of any library job.
How to apply:
Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference job title and location on the subject line.
Deadline: Open Until Filled. However, we reserve the right to close this posting without notice. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
No phone calls and/or in person inquiries regarding status of applications. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone.
Why the Richland Library?
Richland Library is a vibrant, contemporary organization that provides resources and information that advance the Midlands. Offering state-of-the-art technology, a great variety of literary and cultural programs and 13 bustling facilities located throughout the county, Richland Library offers a truly customized, modern library experience for residents and visitors alike.
Richland Library is an award-winning, forward-thinking public library system because of our exceptional, diverse staff, who are passionate about serving our community. Be a part of our team and help us continue to fulfill our mission of helping our customers learn, create, and share.
We are guided by our shared Vision: “enhance the quality of life for our entire community”; and by strategic objectives including advancing our community, having an engaged staff who make a significant positive difference, and enhancing the experience and outcomes of customers who interact with Richland Library.