About the Job
Richland Library is seeking to hire a Safety and Security staff member for our Main Location.
Richland Library is seeking someone who has good knowledge of security procedures, and good knowledge safety principles and practices. This individual has two years of recent security or law enforcement experience, is organized and able to communicate clearly and concisely, has a sharp mind & an eye for detail. This individual enjoys assisting others & ensures everyone’s safety on his or her watch. Are you ready to learn about the unique Security needs of the Library?
If your answer is “YES!”, the Richland Library encourages you to apply!
- Patrolling all interior and exterior grounds to protect premises, property, and equipment; moving constantly and quickly between areas as appropriate. Carefully observing all unusual activities and behavior on library property, and responding appropriately, which involves decision-making, judgment, and knowledge of policies and procedures.
- Responding to fire and burglar alarms after hours, when informed by alarm company, police, or supervisor; which requires immediately available, reliable transportation to the necessary locations.
- Assisting customers and staff in emergency situations relating to safety and security.
- Interpreting, communicating, and enforcing library policies, procedures, and rules to customers, security workers, and other staff.
- Communicating information related to safety, security, and library-general information; presenting a positive image of library to general public.
- Dealing effectively and appropriately with disorderly customers whenever necessary.
- Maintaining appropriate security reports and records.
- Maintaining physical cleanliness, neatness, orderliness, and safety of exterior grounds and exterior areas as listed above, in addition to the safety/security patrolling of such areas.
- Assisting with administering emergency First Aid to staff and customers.
- Assisting library staff in limited aspects of their job duties, as needed.
- Locating certain customers and relaying messages from outside callers, within appropriate guidelines.
- Providing security to other Library locations and special events, as needed.
- Performing other duties as required or assigned.
As a Richland Library employee, you can:
- Make a difference in other people’s lives every day!
- Be part of a dynamic and diverse team.
- Be recognized for your contributions.
- Grow and develop personally and professionally.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent required.
- At least two years of previous experience in security and/or law enforcement preferred.
- Drug free.
- Your job will involve your being on the move in our libraries.
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Richland Library Main **1431 Assembly Street, Columbia, SC 29201
Salary range: $14.52 hourly
Hours: 20 hours per week
Please note that we are working an adjusted scheduled currently until further notice.
Job Classification Level 105 (FLSA Status: Non-Exempt)
** Richland Library may change location and schedule of any library job.
How to apply: Submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com Reference job title on the subject line.
Deadline: Open Until Filled. However, we reserve the right to close this posting without notice. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
No phone calls and/or in person inquiries regarding status of applications. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone. All other applicants will be notified via email when position is filled.
Why the Richland Library?
Richland Library is a vibrant, contemporary organization that provides resources and information that advance the Midlands. Offering state-of-the-art technology, a great variety of literary and cultural programs and 13 bustling facilities located throughout the county, Richland Library offers a truly customized, modern library experience for residents and visitors alike.
Richland Library is an award-winning, forward-thinking public library system because of our exceptional, diverse staff, who are passionate about serving our community. Be a part of our team and help us continue to fulfill our mission of helping our customers learn, create, and share.
We are guided by our shared Vision: “enhance the quality of life for our entire community”; and by strategic objectives including advancing our community, having an engaged staff who make a significant positive difference, and enhancing the experience and outcomes of customers who interact with Richland Library.