Richland Library is seeking to hire a Safety Associate for our Northeast location.
Richland Library Northeast is located in the International Corridor, serving a diverse community with a wide variety and full range of library services. Our space offers the latest technology, exciting programming such as: Anime Night and Family Storytime; a dedicated career coaching center, Teaching Kitchen where you can explore your culinary passions, and so much more!
Richland Library is seeking someone who has good knowledge of security procedures, and good knowledge of safety principles and practices. Qualified candidates have recent security or law enforcement experience, are organized, able to communicate clearly and concisely, and have a sharp mind & an eye for detail. The individuals we are seeking enjoy assisting others & ensuring everyone’s safety.
Are you ready to learn about the unique Security needs of the Library? If you answer is “Yes,” we encourage you to apply!
- Patrols all interior and exterior grounds to protect premises, property, and equipment.
- Deals effectively and appropriately with disorderly customers whenever necessary, carefully observing all unusual activities and behavior on library property, and responding appropriately; using good judgment, and knowledge of policies and procedures.
- Interprets, communicates, and enforces library policies, procedures, and rules to customers, and other staff.
- Assists Manager and librarians with the overall management and leadership of the Library, including helping to keep the workflow properly moving and meeting customer experience expectations.
- Answers directional and informational questions about the Library, including its services, materials, programs, and initiatives.
- Assists customers with equipment, materials, procedures, and information.
- Acts to find and promote efficiencies, including working to help ensure correct location and condition of items and materials so that customers receive materials and services they desire.
- Contributes effectively to understanding and maintaining the system for organizing and moving materials through the system.
- Assists with adult and children’s programming.
- Actively supports the needs of the library, including completion of opening and closing procedures; maintaining supplies, statistics and cash reconciliations; cleaning, checking, and trouble-shooting equipment; shelving materials and sustaining the library’s collection.
- Performing other duties as required or assigned.
As a Richland Library employee, you can:
- Make a difference in other peoples' lives every day!
- Be part of a dynamic and diverse team.
- Be recognized for your contributions.
- Grow and develop personally and professionally
Richland Library offers a full range of benefits to hourly employees, spouses and their children. Some of our benefits include:
- Resources to help improve your overall well-being
- Career development
- Time off to recharge and renew
- Holiday closings
- Free and discounted access to books, music and films
- Giving Back:
We value giving back to our community and encourage all employees to volunteer their time to support their charities.
- Celebration, Appreciation and Play
We know that you need a chance to unwind and recharge. Science tells us that play makes us smarter and reduces stress. Play helps us to get to know our colleagues better and can be fun. We offer break rooms and employee lounge areas to play games, workout, read or just relax.
- High school or equivalent.
- At least two years’ previous experience in security and/or law enforcement.
- At least one year clerical or other relevant work experience; equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
- Excellent communication and technical skills, including a good understanding of technology.
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Richland Library Northeast**7490 Parklane Road, Columbia, SC 29223
Salary range: $14.52 per hour
Hours: Avg. 17.5 hours/week:
Tuesday & Thursday: 3:00 - 9:15 PM
Tuesday & Thursday: 3:00 - 9:15 PM
Friday & Saturday: 1:00 -6:15 PM
Week A: 12.50 hours including 30-minute dinner break Tuesdays and Thursdays
Week B: 22.50 hours including 30-minute dinner break Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Job Classification Level 105 (FLSA Status: Non-Exempt)
** Richland Library may change location and schedule of any library job.
How to apply: Submit your resume; or email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . Reference job title on the subject line.
Deadline: Open Until filled. The Library reserves the right to close this vacancy at any time once sufficient number of applications is received.
No phone calls and/or in person inquiries regarding status of applications. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone. All other applicants will be notified via email when position is filled.
Why the Richland Library?
- Richland Library is a vibrant, contemporary organization that provides resources and information that advance the Midlands. Offering state-of-the-art technology, a great variety of literary and cultural programs and 13 bustling facilities located throughout the county, Richland Library offers a truly customized, modern library experience for residents and visitors alike.
- Richland Library is an award-winning, forward-thinking public library system because of our exceptional, diverse staff, who are passionate about serving our community. Be a part of our team and help us continue to fulfill our mission of helping our customers learn, create, and share.
- We are guided by our shared Vision: “enhance the quality of life for our entire community”; and by strategic objectives including advancing our community, having an engaged staff who make a significant positive difference, and enhancing the experience and outcomes of customers who interact with Richland Library.