About the Job
Richland Library is seeking to hire an Outreach Specialist for the Community Outreach Department at Main.
This individual engages well with others and is passionate about bringing the library to new audiences, enjoys working collaboratively with other staff members in a fast paced environment. The ideal candidate has strong technical skills, attention to detail, and fluency in Spanish. Under guidance of the Community Outreach Manager, the Outreach Specialist supports programs in various capacities from administrative tasks for the department to performing public service duties on the Learn Freely Bus, outpost locations, and lobby stops.
If you are interested in embracing this outstanding opportunity to grow and contribute, the Richland Library encourages you to apply!
- Assisting with the development of library programs and services for target audiences, particularly underserved segments of Richland County.
- Facilitating literacy and learning programs and activities for a wide range of audiences – including providing library services and materials for customers of all ages on the Learn Freely Bus and Play Freely Sprinter Van.
- Selecting, programming and providing a variety of workshops and trainings for parents, caregivers, teachers, and other community members.
- Introducing the library to diverse groups of Richland County residents who have yet to discover or access library services, including traditional services as well as emerging services such as technology and digital based instruction.
- Representing the library at community events, festivals and other gatherings.
- Assisting with supervising the work of Outreach volunteers.
- Participating in developing, maintaining, promoting and distributing a collection of material to the community, including support programs for homebound customers and coordination of community collections throughout the county.
- Ordering, receiving, processing and reconciling department budget activity under the direction of the department manager via MUNIS.
- Performing other duties as required or assigned to support the Library’s strategic initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree or above from accredited university, with major in an area relevant to community engagement and outreach to underserved populations; two years’ college plus at least eight years of relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of the bachelor’s degree.
- At least one year of relevant work experience.
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish.
- Knowledge of community.
- Valid driver’s license with safe driving record.
- Satisfactory completion of background checks via SC. DSS and S.C. SLED.
Position includes working in other locations in addition to the regular job site at Main (other Library locations plus various other places in the community as needed). Richland Library may also change location and schedule of any library job dependent upon needs of the system.
Your job will involve your being on the move in our libraries. It will include standing, walking, crouching, stooping, squatting, twisting, climbing, pushing/pulling up to 50 pounds, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Community Outreach Dept. **1431 Assembly Street, Columbia, SC 29201
Salary range: $1,171.00 - $1,207.00 biweekly, plus benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, including some evenings and weekends
Job Classification Level: 107
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
APPLY IMMEDIATELY. No deadline is presently established for this Vacancy. Applications are being accepted now. When a deadline is determined, the deadline will be announced 24 hours in advance on the Library’s website.
If you are considering submitting a resume/cover letter, you may attach to your online application.
Why the Richland Library?
Richland Library is a vibrant, contemporary organization that provides resources and information that advance the Midlands. Offering state-of-the-art technology, a great variety of literary and cultural programs and 12 bustling facilities located throughout the county, Richland Library offers a truly customized, modern library experience for residents and visitors alike.
The Richland Library is an award-winning, forward-thinking public library system because of our exceptional, diverse staff, who are passionate about serving our community. Be a part of our team and help us to continue to fulfill our mission to help our customers learn, create and share.
We are guided by our shared Vision: “to enhance the quality of life for our entire community”; and by strategic objectives including advancing our community, having an engaged staff who make a significant positive difference, and enhancing the experience and outcomes of customers who interact with Richland Library.