Richland Library is seeking to hire a Customer Service Specialist Senior for our Main location.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and resourceful candidate committed to provide exceptional readers’ advisory, information and reference services at the Readers’ Advisory Department.
Knowledge of books and general public reading interests, personal interest in reading and ability to discuss books effectively, and to contribute to the success of the team are some of the attributes needed to perform the tasks associated with this position, ensuring that our customers have useful, useable, and enjoyable library experiences.
- Providing exceptional readers' advisory, information and reference services at the Readers’ Advisory service point and the Business and Careers Center.
- Providing assistance for customers' career and workforce skills development, primarily with assistance with resume preparation and online job applications.
- Promoting the library's circulating collection by designing, maintaining, and rotating materials displays in and around the library.
- Participating in reading plan to enhance fiction and/ or nonfiction book knowledge.
- Creating readers' advisory content for the Library's website and other customer oriented advisory materials.
- Conducting interlibrary loan activities.
- Performing administrative and support functions for the department.
- Communicating and interpreting general library policies and procedures to customers.
- Offering service to our customers in person, via telephone, email and social media.
- Facilitating and developing programming, both passive and active, for adults which may include books, booktalks, and other events both in house and in the community.
- Assisting with planning, developing materials and supervising computer or downloadable resources classes.
- Performing other duties as required or assigned.
As a Richland Library employee you can:
- Make a difference in other people’s lives every day!
- Be part of a dynamic and diverse team.
- Be recognized for your contributions.
- Grow and develop personally and professionally.
Richland Library offers a full range of benefits to salaried employees that support employees, spouses and their children. Some of our benefits include:
- Medical, prescription drug, dental and vision coverage
- Retirement savings plan\paid time off and holiday pay
- Resources to help improve your overall well-being
- Free and discounted access to books, music, and films
- Giving Back:
We value giving back to our community and encourage all employees to volunteer their time to support their charities.
- Celebration, Appreciation and Play
We know that you need a chance to unwind and recharge. Science tells us that play makes us smarter and reduces stress. Play helps us to get to know our colleagues better and can be fun. We offer break rooms and employee lounge areas to play games, workout, read or just relax.
- Three years of relevant work experience.
- Specialized knowledge or skills developed through work experience related to readers’ advisory service in public libraries or bookselling. In this position, such skills may include technology such as downloadable resources, social networking sites, and MS Office Suite.
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Research and Readers’ Advisory Dept. **1431 Assembly Street, Columbia, SC 29201
Salary range: $1,157.25 - $1,191.96 biweekly, plus benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week: Monday – Friday 9:00 am – 5:30 pm; one night per week from 1:00 pm – 9:00 pm; every third weekend: Saturday 9:00 am – 6:00 pm/Sunday 1:45 – 6:00 pm.
(Job Classification Level 106) (FLSA Status: Non-Exempt)
** Richland Library may change location and schedule of any library job.
How to apply: Submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com . Reference job title on the subject line.
Deadline: Open Until Filled. However, we reserve the right to close this posting without notice. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
No phone calls and/or in person inquiries regarding status of applications. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone. All other applicants will be notified via email when position is filled.
Why the Richland Library?
- Richland Library is a vibrant, contemporary organization that provides resources and information that advance the Midlands. Offering state-of-the-art technology, a great variety of literary and cultural programs and 13 bustling facilities located throughout the county, Richland Library offers a truly customized, modern library experience for residents and visitors alike.
- Richland Library is an award-winning, forward-thinking public library system because of our exceptional, diverse staff, who are passionate about serving our community. Be a part of our team and help us continue to fulfill our mission of helping our customers learn, create, and share.
- We are guided by our shared Vision: “enhance the quality of life for our entire community”; and by strategic objectives including advancing our community, having an engaged staff who make a significant positive difference, and enhancing the experience and outcomes of customers who interact with Richland Library.