About the Job
Our online application is not working properly with Internet Explorer. Please use another browser to submit your application such as Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.
Richland Library is seeking to hire a Safety Associate for our Wheatley location.
Located in the Old Shandon neighborhood, Richland Library Wheatley is within close distance of Shandon Presbyterian Church and Dreher High School. Our Wheatley location offers children’s area, fresh picks collection, general use computers, meeting space and patio where customers can learn, create and share.
We are seeking someone who enjoys assisting others while ensuring the safety of all library customers. The ideal candidate for this position communicates well with a widely diverse community and wants to be part of an enthusiastic staff committed to quality customer experiences.
- Patrols all interior and exterior grounds to protect premises, property, and equipment.
- Deals effectively and appropriately with disorderly customers whenever necessary, carefully observing all unusual activities and behavior on library property, and responding appropriately; using good judgment, and knowledge of policies and procedures.
- Interprets, communicates, and enforces library policies, procedures, and rules to customers, and other staff.
- Assists Manager and librarians with the overall management and leadership of the Library, including helping to keep the workflow properly moving and meeting customer experience expectations.
- Answers directional and informational questions about the Library, including its services, materials, programs, and initiatives.
- Assists customers with equipment, materials, procedures, and information.
- Acts to find and promote efficiencies, including working to help ensure correct location and condition of items and materials so that customers receive materials and services they desire.
- Contributes effectively to understanding and maintaining the system for organizing and moving materials through the system.
- Assists with adult and children’s programming.
- May lead, coach, train, and supervise part-time employees and volunteers, guiding priorities within activities and tasks.
- Oversees the library operations during absence of higher level staff.
- Actively supports the needs of the library, including completion of opening and closing procedures; maintaining supplies, statistics and cash reconciliations; cleaning, checking, and trouble-shooting equipment; shelving materials and sustaining the library’s collection.
- Performing other duties as required or assigned.
- At least two years of post high school education from an accredited college or university.
- At least one year clerical or other relevant work experience; equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered. Preference may be given to relevant experience within a service industry.
- Excellent communication and technical skills, including a good understanding of technology.
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Richland Library Wheatley **931 Woodrow Street, Columbia, SC 29205
Salary range: $13.00 - $13.40 per hour
Hours: 27.0 hours per week: Monday 2:00 – 6:00 PM, Tuesday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM, Friday and Saturday 9:00 AM 6:00 PM.
Job Classification Level: 103
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Deadline: Open Until Filled. Applicants will be notified by email once the position is filled.
Why the Richland Library?
Richland Library is a vibrant, contemporary organization that provides resources and information that advance the Midlands. Offering state-of-the-art technology, a great variety of literary and cultural programs and 12 bustling facilities located throughout the county, Richland Library offers a truly customized, modern library experience for residents and visitors alike.
The Richland Library is an award-winning, forward-thinking public library system because of our exceptional, diverse staff, who are passionate about serving our community. Be a part of our team and help us to continue to fulfill our mission to help our customers learn, create and share.
We are guided by our shared Vision: “to enhance the quality of life for our entire community”; and by strategic objectives including advancing our community, having an engaged staff who make a significant positive difference, and enhancing the experience and outcomes of customers who interact with Richland Library.