Richland Library is seeking to hire a Full-Time Children's Specialist Public Service Professional at our Sandhills location.
- Knowledge of mission of public library systems and related services and the ability to learn principles and practices of library operations
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of the assigned operational areas and patron service
- Performs professional-level Library duties including answering reference and technology questions, responding to customer requests, completing complex processes correctly, and interpreting Library policies and procedures to customer and other staff members
- Supports the department / location manager with the hiring, training, and supervision of staff and volunteers including but not limited to, assigning and communicating daily activities and priorities, guiding the work of staff and volunteers, communicating important location, system, and organizational information and updates, and coordinating training
- Answers directional and informational questions about the Library including its services, materials, programs and initiatives
- May serve as a liaison for a target audience and provide specialized services to that audience
- Collaborates with managers, colleagues and partners to develop and conduct Library programming that serves diverse community needs
- Assists customers and colleagues with addressing and resolving problems
- Responds to and resolves problematic customer situations and events; enforces the Richland Library Code of Conduct and follows established guidelines
- Performs various tasks related to collection maintenance, including but not limited to assisting with weeding of materials, creating engaging displays, and shelving materials
- May participate in a variety of other professional-level activities including but not limited to outreach efforts, collection development, volunteer supervision, and assisting with administrative activities
- Performs start up or closing tasks for specific shifts
- Gathers, organizes, and prepares statistics
- Assists customers with locating materials and using PAC terminals, copiers, and other equipment
- Uses technology for a variety of tasks including communication, scheduling, creating reports and tracking data; monitors automated functions and equipment; escalates issues to appropriate staff, as needed; maintains current knowledge of developments in the Library technologies
- Ensures that Library interior appears clean, tidy, attractive, and inviting to customers including managing and merchandising library collections
- Serves as liaison to various committees within the library system; coordinates special projects, meetings, and events as assigned
- Observes, identifies, and recommends operational changes throughout the library system as appropriate
- May assist with preparation and review of budget requests
- May coach, mentor, and guide staff or volunteers to achieve improved levels of excellence
- Follows organizational, County, and public health and safety guidelines and protocols; performs job functions in a safe manner and reports all safety hazards per established policies and procedures
- Attends and participates in staff and professional group meetings; stays current on new trends and best practices
- Learns and consistently exhibits Richland Library’s brand promises in all interactions with customers and colleagues; provides outstanding customer service to all internal and external customers; successfully ascertains and meets the individualized needs of each customer
- May be required to work nights and weekends based on organizational responsibilities and job requirements
- May manage operations during absence of higher-level staff
Bachelor’s degree in related discipline; supplemented by some previous directly related experience; or an equivalent combination of education, certification, training, and/or experience.
American Library Association (ALA) accredited Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS)
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Richland Library Sandhills, 763 Fashion Drive, Columbia, SC 29229
Salary: $1,612.50 bi-weekly plus excellent benefits.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week on rotating weekend schedule:
Sun Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri Sat
week: 1 OFF 9-5:30 9-5:30 12-8 9-5:30 OFF 9-6
week: 2 2-6 9-5:30 9-5:30 12-8 9-5:30 9-1 OFF
week: 3 OFF 9-5:30 9-5:30 12-8 9-5:30 9-6 OFF
Job Role & Level: P1; Pay Grade & Salary Band: 5; FLSA Status: Exempt
** Richland Library may change location and schedule of any library job.
How to apply:
Deadline: Open Until Filled. However, we reserve the right to close this posting without notice. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
No phone calls and/or in person inquiries regarding status of applications. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone.
Why the Richland Library?
Richland Library is a vibrant, contemporary organization that provides resources and information that advance the Midlands. Offering state-of-the-art technology, a great variety of literary and cultural programs and 12 bustling facilities located throughout the county, Richland Library offers a truly customized, modern library experience for residents and visitors alike.
The Richland Library is an award-winning, forward-thinking public library system because of our exceptional, diverse staff, who are passionate about serving our community. Be a part of our team and help us to continue to fulfill our mission to help our customers learn, create and share.
We are guided by our shared Vision: “to enhance the quality of life for our entire community”; and by strategic objectives including advancing our community, having an engaged staff who make a significant positive difference, and enhancing the experience and outcomes of customers who interact with Richland Library.