Richland Library is seeking to hire a Safety Associate for our Southeast location.
Richland Library Southeast is utilized by a diverse population including military, urban and rural customers. The renovated space offers access to new technology, tinker and gaming labs, meeting rooms, outdoor programming space, expanded children’s area and much more!
We are seeking someone who has good knowledge of security procedures, safety principles and practices to join our team. This individual has recent security or law enforcement experience, is organized and able to communicate clearly and concisely, has a sharp mind and an eye for detail. This individual enjoys assisting others and ensures everyone’s safety on his or her watch. Are you ready to learn about the unique Security needs of the Library?
Our online application works best on the following browsers: Google Chrome, Firefox and Safari. Please do not use Internet Explorer when submitting your application.
- Patrolling all interior and exterior grounds to protect premises, property, and equipment; moving constantly and quickly between areas as appropriate. Carefully observing all unusual activities and behavior on library property, and responding appropriately, which involves decision-making, judgment, and knowledge of policies and procedures.
- Responding to fire and burglar alarms after hours, when informed by alarm company, police, or supervisor; which requires immediately available, reliable transportation to the necessary locations.
- Assisting customers and staff in emergency situations relating to safety and security.
- Interpreting, communicating, and enforcing library policies, procedures, and rules to customers, security workers, and other staff.
- Communicating information related to safety, security, and library-general information; presenting a positive image of library to general public.
- Dealing effectively and appropriately with disorderly customers whenever necessary.
- Maintaining appropriate security reports and records.
- Maintaining physical cleanliness, neatness, orderliness, and safety of exterior grounds and exterior areas as listed above, in addition to the safety/security patrolling of such areas.
- Assisting with administering emergency First Aid to staff and customers.
- Assisting library staff in limited aspects of their job duties, as needed.
- Locating certain customers and relaying messages from outside callers, within appropriate guidelines.
- Providing security to other Library locations and special events, as needed.
- Performing other duties as required or assigned.
As a Richland Library employee you can:
- Make a difference in other peoples' lives every day!
- Be part of a dynamic and diverse team.
- Be recognized for your contributions.
- Grow and develop personally and professionally
Richland Library offers a full range of benefits to salaried employees that support employees, spouses and their children. Some of our benefits include:
- Medical, prescription drug, dental and vision coverage
- Retirement saving plan\Paid time off and holiday pay
- Resources to help improve your overall well-being
- Free and discounted access to books, music and films
We value giving back to our community and encourage all employees to volunteer their time to support their charities.
Celebration, Appreciation and Play
We know that you need a chance to unwind and recharge. Science tells us that play makes us smarter and reduces stress. Play helps us to get to know our colleagues better and can be fun. We offer break rooms and employee lounge areas to play games, workout, read or just relax.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent.
- Previous experience in security and/or law enforcement preferred.
- Drug free.
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Richland Library Southeast **7421 Garners Ferry Road, Columbia, SC 29209
Salary range: $1,089.00 - $1,121.67 biweekly, plus benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week: Monday & Tuesday 12:00 – 9:15 PM; Wednesday 12:30 – 9:15 PM; Saturday 8:45 AM – 6:15 PM; Sun. 1:30-6:15 PM
Job Classification Level 105 (FLSA Status: Non-Exempt)
** Richland Library may change location and schedule of any library job.