About the Job
Richland Library is seeking to hire an Associate for the St. Andrews location.
The individual we are seeking engages well with others and understands the needs of our customers. In addition to the job’s major focus upon Workforce Development, this person plans, assists with and/or conducts programs and training. He or she is someone who will come to work excited about opportunities to meet a diverse group of people and to help them find and reach their career goals.
Richland Library St. Andrews, located on Broad River Rd., serves northwest Richland County and is located just 7 miles from downtown Columbia. The library provides customers with books and A/V materials, holds pickups, computer access, Wi-Fi, and tailored programs for children, teens, and adults. The St. Andrews location offers specific areas for children, teens, career coaching, and a Makerspace to fulfill our mission to help our customers learn, create and share!
Our online application is not working properly with Internet Explorer. Please use another browser to submit your application such as Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.
- Planning, designing, and conducting workforce development classes, for use in individuals’ career and employment skills development.
- Providing one-on-one career coaching support for customers, and other work as needed to facilitate career development for library customers.
- Maintaining current knowledge base of regional job market, workforce and labor news.
- Assisting the location Manager and librarians with the overall management and leadership of that location, including helping to keep the workflow properly moving and meeting customer experience expectations.
- Leading, coaching, training, and supervising part-time employees and volunteers, guiding priorities within activities and tasks.
- Managing operations during absence of higher level staff.
- Answering customer directional and informational questions about the Library, including its services, materials, programs, and initiatives.
- Actively supporting various other needs of the location, including completion of opening and closing procedures; maintaining supplies, statistics and cash reconciliations; cleaning, checking, and trouble-shooting equipment; scheduling and confirming meeting room reservations, shelving materials and sustaining the library’s collection.
- Actively seeking to find and promote service efficiencies, including working to help ensure correct location and condition of items and materials so that customers receive materials and services they desire.
- Contributing effectively to understanding and maintaining the library system for organizing and moving materials.
- Planning, assisting with, and/or conducting programs and trainings for children and adults such as storytimes, film showings, computer trainings, etc., in addition to the job’s major focus upon Workforce Development.
- May be assisting the location manager in managing employee performance for success, and with aspects of interviewing, hiring, and training of new staff and volunteers.
- Bachelor’s degree (two years college plus at least eight years of relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of bachelor’s degree).
- Career Development Facilitator (CDF) certification preferred; ability to successfully complete by no later than the 9th month in the job required.
- Preference for at least one year clerical or other relevant work experience; or equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered. Preference may be given to relevant experience within a service industry.
- Interest in and aptitude for workforce development. Preference may be given for previous job experience and/or education related to workforce development and employment development.
- Excellent communication and technical skills, including a very good understanding of technology.
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Richland Library St. Andrews **2916 Broad River Road, Columbia, SC 29210
Salary range: $1,171.50 - $1,207.00 biweekly, plus benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, including evening and weekend hours
Job Classification Level 107 (FLSA Status: Non-Exempt)
Deadline: Open Until filled. Applicants will be notified by email once the position is filled.