Request an Obituary
Richland Library maintains an index of obituaries and death notices from the following local newspapers:
- The State (1892-2012)
- The Palmetto Leader (1925-1928, 1930, January-April 1931, 1937-1939, 1941)
- Columbia Record 1916-1921
- Columbia Record births - 1969
- Christian Neighbor 1884-85
- Columbia Daily Register 1875-1882
Please note: These newspapers may contain statewide obituary and death information. Question marks have been used for illegible letters. To find names with illegible first letters use a question mark in the Name Browse. This is an ongoing project. Additional years and resources will be added as they are completed.
To Order a Copy of An Obituary
1. Search the obituary index:
2. Copy, paste or type up to 3 citations into the form below.
3. Provide an email address so we can email you the scanned obituaries.
4. If you do not have a Richland Library card, mail a check for $5 per obituary to the address below.
5. We will process the obituaries in the order that they are received or for non-card holders, when payment is received.
Out-of-county library cards are available for an annual fee of $65.00.
Make check or money order out to Richland Library and send to:
Attn: Finance Dept/obit request
1431 Assembly St.
Columbia, SC 29201