From legislative districts designed to protect incumbents, to political campaigns awash in dark money, to broken or compromised voting machines – the American electorate is increasingly questioning whether their votes matter.
What is happening? How can public confidence be restored in our elections?
A panel of experts and legislators will tackle important issues related to voting in South Carolina including a proposed new voting system, the redrawing of election districts, fair election practices and more.
- Representative Beth Bernstein – SC House of Representatives, SC District 78
- Duncan Buell, Ph.D. – Professor of Computer Science at the University of South Carolina and recognized expert on voting technology and security.
- Representative Gary Clary – SC House of Representatives, SC District 3
- Representative Kirkman Finlay - SC House of Representatives, SC District 75
- Senator Mia S. McLeod - SC State Senate, District 22
- John Ruoff, Ph.D.- Researcher and advocate, a recognized authority on voting rights and redistricting in South Carolina.
Sponsored by Richland Library, League of Women Voters of South Carolina, League of Women Voters of the Columbia Area, AARP of South Carolina, and the Columbia Urban League.