About the Job
Richland Library is seeking to hire an Associate for our Cooper Location.
Richland Library Cooper is conveniently located in the heart of Forest Acres. It serves as the neighborhood library for numerous schools in the area. Our Cooper location offers children’s area with markerspace programming, laptop bar, reading room, living room, and various other resources to fulfill our mission to help our customers learn, create and share!
We are seeking someone who is energetic, outgoing, and positive to work in this location. This individual enjoys working with people of all ages. He/She is a natural leader, teacher, and trainer, has strong technology skills, and the ability to share that knowledge with customers of varying skill levels. This individual has a passion for customer service and may have a background in a customer-oriented field such as retail or food & beverage. Supervisory experience is a plus!
If you feel like you are the right person for this position, we encourage you to apply.
- Assisting the Richland Library Cooper Manager and librarians with overall management and teamwork, including helping keep workflow properly moving.
- Answering directional and informational questions about the Library, including its services, materials, programs, and initiatives.
- Assisting customers with technology, equipment, materials, procedures, and information.
- Acting to find and promote efficiencies, including working to help ensure correct location and condition of items and materials so that customers receive materials and services they desire.
- Helping to oversee the Library during absence of higher level staff.
- Actively supporting the needs of the Library, including completion of opening and closing procedures; maintaining supplies, statistics and cash reconciliations; cleaning, checking, and trouble-shooting equipment; shelving materials and sustaining the Library’s collection.
- Experience and demonstrated interest in children and children’s literature and programming.
- Ease with learning new technology and explaining it to others.
- Ability to create, coordinate and deliver arts, multimedia and maker programs.
- At least two years of post-high school education from a college, university, or business school.
- One year clerical or other relevant work experience; equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered. Preference may be given to relevant experience within a service industry.
- Excellent communication and technical skills, including a good understanding of technology.
- Additional skills as required by job, and ability to perform duties of the job.
Your job will involve your being on the move in our libraries. It will include standing, walking, crouching, stooping, squatting, twisting, climbing, pushing/pulling up to 50 pounds, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Richland Library Cooper** 5317 North Trenholm Road, Columbia, SC 29206
Salary range: $975.00- $1,004.00 biweekly, plus benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, including evening and weekend hours.
Job Classification Level: 104
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
* Richland Library may change location and schedule of any Library job.
APPLY IMMEDIATELY. No deadline is presently established for this Vacancy. Applications being accepted now. When a deadline is determined, the deadline will be announced 24 hours in advance on the Library’s website.
Please do not send your resume/cover letter separately; only materials submitted through our online system are reviewed. You may attach your resume and/or cover letter to your online application. Keep in mind that if you are applying for multiple positions, you will need to submit an application for each position.
Why Richland Library?
Richland Library is a vibrant, contemporary organization that provides resources and information that advance the Midlands. Offering state-of-the-art technology, a great variety of literary and cultural programs and 12 bustling facilities located throughout the county, Richland Library offers a truly customized, modern library experience for residents and visitors alike.
Richland Library is an award-winning, forward-thinking public library system because of our exceptional, diverse staff, who are passionate about serving our community. Be a part of our team and help us to continue to fulfill our mission to help our customers learn, create and share.
We are guided by our shared Vision: “to enhance the quality of life for our entire community”; and by strategic objectives including advancing our community, having an engaged staff who make a significant positive difference, and enhancing the experience and outcomes of customers who interact with Richland Library.