About the Job
Our online application is not working properly with Internet Explorer. Please use another browser to submit your application such as Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.
Richland Library is seeking to hire a Safety and Security staff member for our St. Andrews location.
Richland Library is seeking someone who has good knowledge of security procedures, and good knowledge safety principles and practices. This individual has two years of recent security or law enforcement experience, is organized and able to communicate clearly and concisely, has a sharp mind & an eye for detail. This individual enjoys assisting others & ensures everyone’s safety on his or her watch. Are you ready to learn about the unique Security needs of the Library?
If your answer is “YES!”, the Richland Library encourages you to apply!
- Patrolling all interior and exterior grounds to protect premises, property, and equipment; moving constantly and quickly between areas as appropriate. Carefully observing all unusual activities and behavior on library property, and responding appropriately, which involves decision-making, judgment, and knowledge of policies and procedures.
- Responding to fire and burglar alarms after hours, when informed by alarm company, police, or supervisor; which requires immediately available, reliable transportation to the necessary locations.
- Assisting customers and staff in emergency situations relating to safety and security.
- Interpreting, communicating, and enforcing library policies, procedures, and rules to customers, security workers, and other staff.
- Communicating information related to safety, security, and library-general information; presenting a positive image of library to general public.
- Dealing effectively and appropriately with disorderly customers whenever necessary.
- Maintaining appropriate security reports and records.
- Maintaining physical cleanliness, neatness, orderliness, and safety of exterior grounds and exterior areas as listed above, in addition to the safety/security patrolling of such areas.
- Assisting with administering emergency First Aid to staff and customers.
- Assisting library staff in limited aspects of their job duties, as needed.
- Locating certain customers and relaying messages from outside callers, within appropriate guidelines.
- Providing security to other Library locations and special events, as needed.
- Performing other duties as required or assigned.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent.
- At least two years’ previous experience in security and/or law enforcement.
- Drug free.
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Richland Library St. Andrews** 2916 Broad River Road, Columbia, SC 29210
Salary range:$975.00-$1,004.00 biweekly, plus benefits
Hours:37.5 hours per week: Monday & Wednesday 12:00 – 8:00 pm; Tuesday & Thursday 12:45 – 9:15 PM; Alternate Friday/Saturday 8:45 am – 6:15 pm.
Job Classification Level: 103
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Deadline: Open until filled. Applicants will be notified via email when the position is filled.
Why the Richland Library?
Richland Library is a vibrant, contemporary organization that provides resources and information that advance the Midlands. Offering state-of-the-art technology, a great variety of literary and cultural programs and 12 bustling facilities located throughout the county, Richland Library offers a truly customized, modern library experience for residents and visitors alike.
The Richland Library is an award-winning, forward-thinking public library system because of our exceptional, diverse staff, who are passionate about serving our community. Be a part of our team and help us to continue to fulfill our mission to help our customers learn, create and share.
We are guided by our shared Vision: “to enhance the quality of life for our entire community”; and by strategic objectives including advancing our community, having an engaged staff who make a significant positive difference, and enhancing the experience and outcomes of customers who interact with Richland Library.